Washtenaw County Relocation Attorney

Relocation Attorneys in Ypsilanti, Michigan

One of the biggest challenges of any divorce, when the couple has children, is determining a custody arrangement. Once a custody arrangement has been determined, one parent will likely be deemed the custodial parent because they have more parenting time. When the custodial parent wants to move out of state, the case becomes even more complex. In most situations, parents have worked to establish an ongoing and positive relationship with their children. Relocation has a major impact on the child, including the disruption of established relationships, academics, and more. Sometimes, this impact can be quite negative. Even when a parent has sole custody, the unfit parent may be working towards rebuilding trust and mending broken relationships. When relocation comes into play and a parent is facing the thought of his or her child being far out of reach, the topic can be too much to bear. If you need a legal team that is ready to help you handle your relocation matter, you can count on Collis, Griffor & Hendra. Contact our office today to discuss your situation.

Moving Away With A Minor Child

When a custodial parent wishes to move away and take their child with them, this can be a major source of concern for the other parent. Understandably so, the non-custodial parent may fear for the future of their relationship with their child that they already don’t see as much as they did prior to the divorce. Without an agreement from the non-custodial parent, permission from the court is required to move a minor child out of state or more than 100 miles from the other parent. To move outside this boundary, a parent must be able to show four things:

  1. The move is not being made to prevent the other parent from exercising parenting time
  2. The move has the capacity to improve the life of the moving parent and child
  3. That the objection of the noncustodial parent is based on trying to secure a financial advantage
  4. The opportunity for the nonmoving parent to obtain parenting time and the extent to which the custodial parent will accommodate parenting time.

Contact a Washtenaw County Relocation Attorney

If you have a custody agreement with your child’s other parent, whether you are the custodial parent or not, the potential of relocation can be daunting to think about. Of course, getting a divorce brings up many concerns about spending less time with your child. Many parents also want to encourage a positive relationship between their child and their ex-spouse. When a major move is thrown into the mix, things can become complicated. Whether you are a custodial parent that wishes to move away with a child or you are a non-custodial parent that wishes to prevent your child from moving away, it is important to have an attorney that can protect the future of your family. Contact the experienced team of divorce and family law attorneys at Collis, Griffor & Hendra today to learn how we can help.

Michigan Attorneys Who Care About You734-388-4655 | CALL US TODAY

Are you looking for a Michigan attorney who cares about your future? Well, you've come to the right place. We want to discuss your legal matter. For us, it's all about you. We help clients across Southern Michigan. Don't delay. Contact our Ypsilanti office to find out how we can serve you.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts